Donald B. Campbell
Serving the world since 1955
June 1, 1999-May 21, 2000
- Freelance writing and editing
- Feature writing for PEOPLE magazine, The Oregonian, Oregon Business
magazine, Northwest Airlines World Traveler, Powder magazine, American Airlines'
American Way, Horizon Air, Alaska Air, Today's Health Care, Business Journal,
The Independent, Portland Trail Blazers' Rip City, and others
- Extensive corporate writing and editing for Nike, Inc., Waggener Edstrom, Communique PR, Outward Bound USA, and others
Nike, Inc. U.S. Communications/Bureau Specialist (Nike World Headquarters)
October 1997- March 1999
- Product release writing/editing
- Servicing various national and international media with Nike product and information
- Copywriting for Nike.com, Nikebiz.com and Nikemedia.com
Oregon Live, LLC (owned by Advance Internet/NJ)
October 1995- September 1997
Skies America International Publishing and Communications
- Sr. Producer/Features for 7-million/mo.page-view website (in alliance with The Oregonian)
- Oversaw daily production of the Entertainment and Living sections web content
- Oversaw one assistant producer and 3 interns
- Worked with html, RealAudio, CGI, Pantheon conversion software, Photoshop
January 1997- April 1997
- Editor-in-Chief for Bicycle Dealer Showcase 4-color glossy monthly trade publication
- Editor-in-Chief for Portland Live!, 4-color glossy monthly arts and entertainment magazine, set to launch April 1996
Strategy Publishing, Inc.
- Editor-in-Chief for startup Northwest Indian, set launch July 1997
Computer Bits Online
June 1987- March 1995
- Editor/Webmaster (July1995-Oct. -1995) and columnist (Oct. 1995 - Oct. 1997) for digital magazine on the World Wide Web
RFD Publications, Inc./This Week magazine
1990-1992: Assistant Editor
- Oversaw weekly editions of This Week magazine (circ. 500,000)
- Managed staff of 5
- Worked with free-lance writers pool of 20-25 writers
1987-1990: Copy Editor/Staff Writer
August 1981-January 1987
- Edited free-lance copy, wrote cover stories and features. Also free-lanced feature stories and a music column for Downtowner magazine (a sister publication at RFD)
Paul deLay Band/Criminal Records (Portland, OR)
- Musician for touring blues band, and co-owner of Criminal Records.
- Involved with performance, stage production, public relations, booking, record/tape/CD production.
Little River Music Co. (Eugene, OR)
January 1979-May 1981
- Owner and independent record producer/songwriter
Olson & Thompson, Inc. (Springfield, OR)
- Surveyor on field crew. Worked with Zeiss and Jena theodolites, levels and EDMs.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Web page production: HTML, RealAudio, MP3, cgi, Pantheon, Photoshop.
- Published writer: PEOPLE magazine, The Oregonian, American Way (American Airlines), Powder magazine, Alaska Air, Horizon Air, Oregon Business magazine, Computer Bits magazine, This Week magazine, Downtowner magazine, The Independent (independent film and video magazine), Today's Health Care, The Business Journal, and others. Understand craft and art of writing. Deadline driven.
- Editor: Ten years experience editing for weekly and monthly magazines. Working knowledge of AP Style, proofreading, headline writing, grammar, punctuation and usage skills.
- Management: Managed staff of 5. Guided This Week magazine through a format change (broadsheet to tabloid). Established a new section (Entertainment This Week). Redesigned This Week and converted from IBM-based computer system to Macintosh (March 1994).
Hired by Skies American International Publishing for the launch of Portland Live!, a glossy monthly art and entertainment magazine. Used my years of professional music experience and network of arts and entertainment industry contacts to fashion a modern magazine that reflected the culture of Portland.
I have a thorough understanding of human resources, budgeting, production, strategic planning and team building.
- Layout: Experienced with Macintosh, QuarkXpress, Word and WriteNow programs.Working knowledge of Internet, World Wide Web, http and html.
- Teaching: Have taught writing classes for Oregon Writers Colony, Willamette Writers, Friends of Beaverton Library, Portland Public Schools TAG program, Jackson Middle School, Capital Hill Elementary School, among others.
- Society of Professional Journalists
- BMI (performing rights organization)
1974-1976: University of Oregon
1970-1973: Roseburg Senior High School
Professional musician, songwriter, music publishing and recording, skiing, fly-fishing, mountain biking, Cajun cooking, wine-tasting, operating outside the box, random acts of paradigm shifting and senseless frivolity.
Portfolio and references on request